Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Making It Work

When I married and moved into my husband's home, things were a bit bland in this house.  He had lived here for a year already at that point and all he had were his TV, big lounger couches, and his bedroom set.  Oh how could I forget the lamp and a moose head on the wall in the bonus room. The funniest thing he'd done was set a little step later in the kitchen under the chandler so he'd stop walking into it while going through the kitchen because he hadn't bought a table yet.  That was all he had in a three bedroom, two bath house.

At first I thought it was because he'd lived on his own for a long time at that point and spent so much time out of town for work.  He just didn't have a lot of time to worry about how to make the house look pretty.  After three years of marriage I have also come to understand the blankness that was his house really was how he likes to decorate.  It's been a slow process of picking paint, and finding things we both like for the walls.   He tends to the very clean looks and I love floral prints. He like muted colors and I like a saturated tones.   He likes dead animals on the wall, and I'd just rather not.  We also have a budget that is tight to contend with.  I never can just go out and say this is what I want! Rather it's been a plan and find the elements, and see what I can do to make it.  This lends to some creative messes, with an occasional score. 

 This last week we acquired a shelf to put some of our extra cook wear in.  It is very... functional.  So today for my day off project I decided to add a little lace so I wouldn't have to look directly at crock pot while sitting down to eat. This isn't really a new idea.  I've seen people do very similar projects.  This is just how I did it. 

   I used an old lace curtain and cut it in half to make a smaller panel for each door.  Using a staple gun, I gathered the fabric by just nailing it into the frame. 

Not a bad little project to do in an afternoon.

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

I love that! It's so you and whenever I see lacy home decorations (the nice tasteful ones, not the overdone grandma ones) I always think of you.